Friday, September 23, 2011

Welcome Lung Season

So Brice had croup on Monday. He was fever free on Wednesday and Thursday. We sent him to school yesterday, but an hour after I dropped him off, his teacher called and said that he was crying a lot. When I picked him up she stated that he was not acting like himself. Last night, his cough (which sounded less barky) was much more frequent. He would have moments in between coughs where he was gasping for breath. He couldn't sleep and was very miserable. We gave him a breathing treatment and eventually he was able to fall asleep.

First thing this morning, he said "mom, I need to go to the doctor." Our ST came at 8am and I scheduled a pedi appointment for 1:30pm. He started feeling warm so I took his temp --- 101.3* --- after taking his temp, ST stated that Pierce felt a little warm --- his temp was 100.7* --- yay ;(

The pedi examined Brice and spent a good bit of time listening to his chest... his bout with croup moved into this chest. He now has bronchitis. She could hear crackling sounds throughout his lungs but no focal spot. She gave him a shot in the hopes that if this is a pneumonia trying to occur, maybe it will won't happen. He also has an ear infection (right ear) and is on azithromycin for 5 days. While there, I mentioned that Pierce had a fever this morning and I could hear him coughing during his nap. She listened to his chest and examined him --- he also has bronchitis and is on azithromycin for 5 days. If Brice gets any worse over the weekend, she said to take him into the ER and if he isn't any better by Monday, she is ordering a chest x-ray.

I spoke with our immunologist about our appointment. We are just to keep track of everything. For now, we are still scheduled to see them in December. If infections start happening more frequently, we will be seen sooner. IVIG talks happened (very briefly mentioned but still) and possible prophylactic antibiotics again. Thankfully, if we do wind up on the ER, she is on call this weekend!

Here is to hoping my boys feel better quickly - especially Brice because he is FLAT MISERABLE. It breaks my heart that I can't do anything more to make him feel any better. I am really hoping that he makes some progress over night! I am also hoping that lung season is a little less eventful!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment