Saturday, March 26, 2011

staphylococcus aureus

Dr. A (GI doctor) called late yesterday afternoon. He received the results of the duodenum aspirate he performed on Brice. Dr. A said it's normal to find bacteria in the intestinal tract. But Brice has a staphylococcus aureus infection - the results showed a level over 350,000 (Dr. A said he wouldn't bat an eye at a level of 1000 - at times even 100,000 if the patient was asymptomatic). Brice was prescribed Sulfamethoxazole (2tsp twice daily) for the next two weeks. We have a follow-up scheduled for April 15.

If Brice is still complaining of belly pain after this dose of antibiotics, Dr. A plans on performing another endoscopy to confirm that the staph aureus infection was taken care of.

He is on a low-sugar diet for the next two weeks because this bacterium thrives on sugar (this is in addition to the low-acid diet he is presently on for GERD).

I have been trying to keep a list of questions to ask Dr. A at our next appointment. Hopefully I can get some answers then... :)

If you have some sort of magical way to get medicine in to your child, please share with me... just to let you know what we've tried:
  • using a standard syringe (5mL)
  • using a smaller syringe (1mL)
  • using a medicine cup
  • using a medicine spoon
  • mixing it into applesauce
  • mixing it into water
  • administering small amounts over the course of 30 minutes
  • pinning him down, waiting for him to scream and administering
  • telling him his tummy will continue to hurt if he doesn't take his medicine
  • telling him he may have to go to the hospital if he doesn't take it
  •  promising toys, crayons, stickers, etc

NOTHING is working... if we get it into his mouth 90% of the time, he spits it back out (the other 10% of the time - it's because we've pinned him down and depressed the syringe at just the right time). I'm kind of at wits end with this and at the moment I cannot pin him down. I've somehow injured my left shoulder --- can't reach behind myself, can't pull my pants up, can't put my hair in a ponytail but I can reach in front of myself and I can still pink the kids up - thankfully! The pain is in my actual shoulder (think almost socket area but more towards the middle-front of my arm). It's VERY sharp and radiates down my arm all the while bringing me to tears (and I have a pretty high threshold for pain - I mean heck, I didn't take any pain medication after my c-sections!)

Thoughts? Advice? Contractual & payment terms for taking my place during medicine administration times ;)  ha! I hope you have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Is he not taking it because it tastes bad? Perhaps try yogurt? Both of my boys have LOVED taking their meds (weirdos I know!). I don't have much other advice. Hope this clears up the staph infection!

    ReplyDelete