Tuesday, December 22, 2009

P’s Birth Story

Daddy & I went to the hospital at 8am Friday morning for my scheduled amniocentesis. I was a little apprehensive about the procedure but I knew that I was in good hands. My doctor came in and explained everything he was doing step-by-step. The procedure was relatively painless. He removed the necessary fluid and said the more cloudy and filled with particles the fluid is, the better. He said he could see some particles in my fluid and that we would know an answer within the hour.

We went back into the waiting room until a nurse came from prenatal testing to get me so that I could be hooked up to the monitors. After a decent 20 minute wait, I was placed on a contraction and fetal heart rate monitor. I was cramping quite a bit and having some contractions (both completely normal post-amnio). After 25 minutes on the monitors, they said the strip looked great and that we could leave. Marcy, one of the nurses, tried to pull some strings and get an ante-partum room for us to stay in until my c-section. We stopped back by Frances, the receptionist, to ask if we needed to wait around for results or if we could go downstairs so that Daddy could eat. Connie, my nurse, said it was fine for Daddy to eat but that I could only watch. So off we went... I called my mom to let her know that we were waiting on the results and as soon as we stepped into the cafe, I was getting another call - it was Marcy, asking if I had received Lainee's (my other nurse) message to which I replied "no" - she excitedly told me that the results were positive and to head up to Labor & Delivery. I called my nurses back and Connie said that his lungs were mature and to head straight to Labor & Delivery because they were waiting for me. So off we went...

We were met by Karen, the charge nurse, who brought us into our room and introduced us to my L&D nurse, Tabitha. Karen told us that Dr. Robichaux wanted to get me into the OR right away but they had a patient back there already. I realized at this point that we were going to be in the OR much sooner than our scheduled 12pm timeslot... which meant I wasn't going to see B before going back. I called my mom to tell her that she needed to leave immediately but that she wouldn't get to see us before we went into the OR and that she would probably arrive just in time for P's birth. They placed my IV and by 10:35am I was walking to the OR.

The anesthesia team started my spinal and I felt pretty badly afterward. I figured it would pass so I wasn't going to say anything but apparently they could tell because they kept asking what was wrong. I told them I just didn't feel right and they fixed it quickly. I think they almost forgot to get Daddy because at one point the anesthesiologist looked at me and asked if I had anyone coming with me - I told him my husband. He asked the nurses to go and get Daddy and they were oblivious. My doctor told them and finally someone went to get Daddy - by the time he came into the OR, I was already being cut open (I could smell the cauterization going on). I looked up at him and smiled. The team moved rather quickly and the anesthesiologist told me that they had just broken my water and that P would be here soon. They pushed and pushed and pushed and I felt like I couldn't breathe at one point - they got his head out (and that was all that was outside of my uterus) and P was already crying {such a beautiful noise might I add} and they delivered the rest of him. Daddy went to take pictures and cut his cord while my doctor performed a tubal ligation. Daddy and P were able to sit with me for about 25 minutes before he had to be taken to the nursery. My doctor closed me back up and the anesthesia team administered a tap block and I went back to recovery.

I called my mom to let her know that I was in recovery and I asked her to bring B to see me. Around 1:04pm, P was brought in and I was able to hold my sweet little peanut in my arms for the first time. He nursed, not too well, because he was so tired. About 2 hours later we were brought to our post-partum room. On Sunday we were released to go home!

No comments:

Post a Comment