Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Fight For Preemies



"Every year, 20 million babies are born too soon, too small and very sick-half a million of them in the U.S. November 17th is when we fight!"

It astounds me that 1 in 8 babies are born prematurely. Premature birth is near and dear to me as I was born 4 weeks early... I spent 9 days in the hospital with jaundice.

My niece & nephew, C & C, were born at 35w6d gestation. My nephew weighed 6lbs 4oz and was in the NICU for a little over a week. My niece weighed 3lbs 15oz and was in the NICU for around 2 weeks.

I've watched several fellow bloggers stories unfold surrounding their experiences with premature birth - the moments leading up to their baby(ies) early arrival, the NICU stays and life after the NICU... because for some, it doesn't end with the NICU doors closing behind them.

Read about their stories:

Grace & Faith - 23w5d and 24w gestation
Brayden - 28 weeks gestation
Bennett - 26w5d gestation
Drew, Ben, Ethan & Savannah - 30w1d gestation
Marcus & Maddox - 31w1d gestation
C - 23w6d gestation


With my second and third pregnancies, I was blessed with two full-term, 38 weeker, baby boys, Big Man & Little Man.

Preterm birth rates have very marginally improved in the United States. Today, the premature birth report card was released by the March of Dimes. The United States received a grade of D. Aside from me being a perfectionist, at no time is that grade acceptable. Awareness and advocacy are our tools in fighting the good fight... let's start using them.

We are the voices for these teeny, tiny lives. Let's stand up and fight for them.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I am honored that you mentioned my sweet boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for taking the time to post for Premature Awareness... your loving heart shows through! We need to give these babies a voice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for being part of the Fight for Preemies and helping us raise awareness!

    ReplyDelete