Sunday, March 21, 2010

tummy bugs, my little GERDling and the "H" word...

A lovely little stomach virus has decided to make my home it's home. It's not welcome here. at. all. The boys have pretty bad diarrhea and are quite cranky little people. P is barely eating - he takes about an ounce every time I offer. It took him 5 hours to drink 3 ounces. B seems to be doing better. I am hoping that by the end of the weekend, they are both on the mend!

Ahh my little GERDling... at times I feel as though we are moving in the right direction and then I have days where it looks like we are beginning to regress. He is on thickened feeds with Elecare, 10mg Nexium BID (twice daily), Levsin drops as needed and 1/2 tsp milk of mag to combat constipation issues - this lovely combination plus the amazing Nap Nanny seemed to be doing the trick up until 1 week ago. I noticed he was beginning to cough. At first it was very infrequent and random and now it's becoming more frequent. He also had two choking episodes - one on Thursday and one on Friday. I spoke with his GI doctor over the weekend because the on-call pediatrician suggested Pedialyte for 24 hours (can't do that because he severely refluxes thin liquids and intranasally refluxes; we also don't know for certain whether or not he aspirates thin liquids) and then using Isomil DF for formula re-introduction (can't do that either because of his milk protein intolerance - it would cause him to projectile vomit the entire feed). Our GI doctor said continue with the thickened Elecare and to watch for signs of dehydration. He agreed that I need to call the office this week regarding P's GERD.

And the lovely "H" word... a hysterectomy that is. I said that I would share my thoughts on it... I think that I am going to go through with it. I truly feel as though it's something in my deck of cards at some point in my life. My mom, her sister and their mom all had complete hysterectomies (with the exception of my aunt having one ovary left). I think I would rather have it done now while my boys are still young.

My history... When I was 17, I had the worst periods - horribly heavy bleeding, clots the size of the palm of my hand, cramps that would have me doubled over in pain. My mom took me to the GYN and I was put on BCP and things went back to normal. In February 2005 I had random breakthrough bleeding with large clots again and my doctor chalked it up to a fluke pack of pills; December 2005 - LEEP for grade III cervical dysplasia; April 2006 - cold cone biopsy for grade III cervical dysplasia - margins were very close but everything was removed; normal paps since. I got off of BCP in July 2007 to TTC; periods were just as normal as when I was on BCP; miscarried in October 2007 at 6 weeks - super low progesterone; got pregnant with B in December 2007 - low progesterone again - RE told my MFM to put me on Crinone (vaginal progesterone suppositories) - pregnancy went well despite short cervix, no cerclage needed - August 28, 2008 we welcomed B at 10:11am via c-section; October 28, 2008 - had Paragard IUD inserted (super painful due to cervical stenosis; had to have local anesthetic); December 2008, uterus expelled IUD; April 2009, biggest shock... pregnant; June 2009 - tiny subchorionic hematoma resolved; August 2009 - laproscopic gallbladder removal; December 18, 2009 - 8am amnio showed mature lungs and we welcomed P into the world at 11:15am via c-section - tubal ligation; 13.5 weeks later still spotting daily with some lighter bleeding mixed in... sooo tired of it.

I am tired of spotting every single day. I had my tubes tied which signifies that we are done having children. I think I have made the decision to move forward with the partial hysterectomy. I just don't want to continually face problems. My doctor informed me that, at times, post-tubal the body reverts back to the way it was pre-BCP... no thank you. I can't deal with that again. I follow-up with my doctor on April 15.

P had his 3 month check up on Friday - he is 23.75" long and 11lbs 6oz - little man is finally growing and putting on some weight!

Now some non-poop/non-uterus/non-GERD updates... B is a wild one I tell you! In the last week he has discovered his love for climbing. So far I have found him on the dining table: one time, eating grapes and the second time just standing in the center of it smiling; and sitting in my sink in the bathroom. I guess the fun has just begun, eh?

Well I am off to try and get some things done before my husband comes rolling in - last night was his best friend's bachelor party... hopefully it was nothing like The Hangover - ha!

Speaking of my husband... ten years ago today we started dating. I had NO idea that he was going to be MY husband and the father of our two beautiful boys. God has blessed me with an amazing husband and father. I love him with every fiber of my being. 10 years later... almost 3 years of marriage and 2 children later and I wouldn't change a moment of our history... I look forward to chasing eternity with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment